Google Wants to support 6th – 12th Graders to go see Selma, a movie about the 1965’s Selma-to-Montgomery civil rights March organized by Martin Luther King Jr.’s Southern Christian Leadership conference campaigning for voters’ rights.
Thanks to Google and DonorsChoose.org, 6th-12th grade teachers from select cities, including Seattle, can now take their students to see Selma for free.
CommonSenseMedia.org Describes the film as Follows:
The Movie Focuses on the time leading up to the march. Selma provides a historical context for how each of the group’s campaigns concentrated on raising awareness about a different issue in the segregated South. Expect several intense, disturbing scenes of race-based violence perpetrated against the non-violent protesters, including protesters being beaten bloody with sticks, weapons, and even whips. Others are killed, including innocent girls in a church that’s blown up. Despite the historically accurate violence and the occasional strong language (ranging from “f–k” and “s–t” to frequent racial slurs) — as well as a subplot about infidelity — this is a powerful, educational drama that parents should watch with their mature tweens and teens.
Interested teachers just need to submit a field trip project on DonorsChoose.org. Here are the Eligibility Requirements from DonorsChoose.org:
Projects must be submitted by full-time public school teachers (full eligibility criteria).
Projects should request tickets to see Selma, and can include transportation to and from the movie theater. To qualify for funding additional items should not be requested.
All projects should be submitted at least 2 weeks ahead of the date you’d like to take your trip.
Here’s how it works
- New to DonorsChoose.org? Set up your teacher account atwww.donorschoose.org/teachers.
- Create a new project. In Step 2, select “class trip” as your project type.
- In Step 3 (“Go Shopping”), click “Contact CICERO Class Trips to arrange your trip.” All projects for Selma movie tickets must be booked using CICERO Class Trips.
- Complete the CICERO Class Trips form. Be sure to request a date for your field trip that is at least two weeks from today’s date but still before March 15 or when Selma leaves theaters in your area – whichever comes first. CICERO will email you with a price quote within 3 business days to let you know how much your project will cost.
- After you receive the price quote, return to your DonorsChoose.org account and find your drafted project:
- Click “Upload your CICERO price quote.”
- Enter your trip date (you can ignore the instructions to select a date 2 months in advance – instead please pick a date that is before March 15 or before Selma leaves theaters in your area – whichever comes first).
- Enter “CICERO” under your activity request. Enter the total amount due and upload your price quote.
When you submit your project, Google will fund it within 3 business days.
If you have additional questions, contact them.